Pages

On January 5th, 2011, Lily was admitted to the Phoenix Children's Hospital because she was experiencing pain in her legs and back. A week later and after what felt like a million tests, scans and biopsies, we had a diagnosis: she has a soft tissue tumor called Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma. A PET scan revealed a small tumor in her foot that was not apparent from the outside; it was not until the cancer had already spread to her bone marrow that she experienced any symptoms. This came as a total shock to everyone as Lily has always been healthy, active and full of energy. We love our darling girl and her sweet, happy, loving spirit. This website is for friends and family to stay connected during this difficult time.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lily had the blood transfusion today and it went all right; I was relieved that she didn't have any reactions to the blood.  Afterward, she felt relatively okay and was able to lay outside in our back yard for a while to enjoy the cool breeze and beautiful sunny weather we have been having.

She is still having lots of stomach problems, though, and eating next to nothing. She doesn't have an appetite and the very mention of food usually makes her sick to her stomach.  The funny thing is that instead of tolerating bland, easy to digest food, when she does get hungry, she wants the craziest things.  Luckily, Daddy and Grandma are always willing to run and get her what she craves.  Last night, after being sick all day, she decided she wanted barbecue ribs so Phillip went and got her a rack of ribs. Of course she was only able to eat a couple, but it was better than nothing. 

It is frustrating when what I really want is to fill her up with lots of healthy foods and juices that may help her tummy and give her the nutrition she needs, but she gags at the very sight of most foods.

She has been quite a trooper, though, with all she has been through so far and we want to try to keep her spirits up because it is quite depressing to be so sick for so long. She still is not able to walk around much and it is hard to be confined to bed and wheelchair, unable to dress, bathe or use the bathroom without mom's help.

On a more positive note, the chemotherapy is doing something good; Lily's back pain has diminished so much that she doesn't need pain medication for it. Yeah!

4 comments:

cr said...

I am sorry about the delay in getting back with you. The suggestions were sort of minimal. They said the key for both of them was eating only small amounts at a time. Sometimes it was yogurt or a milkshake. I know this is not the most healthful but smoothies are good. You already mentioned that. Other then that, unfortunately, they did not have much to offer. I will keep talking to people and sending any info that I get, your way. Please do not hesitate to call if we can do ANYTHING to help. Side note: Check the pictures on FB Jake finally donated his hair to Locks of Love. It is now about to the end of his jaw line. We send our love to you all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alicia. I just had a suggestion for you with Lily not having an appetite and when she DOES feel like eating, its not healthy things... Well if you remember I work at a Radiation Oncology office and my patients under radiation who loose their appetite or just need more nutrients, we give them a drink called "Ensure" you can buy it at any grocery store or I'm sure Target or WalMart too. With most my patients, it seems to be the only thing they can tolerate and gives them the nutrients they need. I think there might also be one that is especially for children. I hope this will help her.

JANE said...

I love looking at Lily's beautiful face in these pictures.
Thank you for the updates.
You are all in our Hopes and Prayers
Love, Don and Jane

John Urquidi said...

Hey guys, just sending a litle love from overseas. you are always in our thoughts and prayers. Give Lil a big hug and as much love as possible for us! Love you more than you'll ever know! Glad the naturatherape is working and that Lil is up and about. Also, give Jake a hug for us too. Let him know that I am now the fallout king! Love you and talk with you soon!