It's so hard for me to wake Lily up to go to the doctor in the mornings. I hesitate over her bed and will myself to have the strength to do what needs to be done. I wake her with a kiss and a smile and a "how do you feel?" She almost always smiles back and says "good," and although sometimes I'm not so sure, her waking up with a smile really helps to make the morning a little easier.
Some mornings are harder than others. When I think about the fine line that we walk between the chemotherapy drugs helping and hurting my beautiful baby, I feel like my heart is breaking. I can usually find the strength to be centered and positive because things are going so well right now, but this morning, as I hesitated over her bed, I glanced at a pile of nearby baby pictures of Lily. The one on the top was of her when she was only a few weeks old and I burst into tears. It doesn't seem that long since I held that sweet tiny baby in my arms, and yet the past 5 months have felt like an eternity. We've felt so many emotions and have learned so much about life and love and what's truly important.
Pages
On January 5th, 2011, Lily was admitted to the Phoenix Children's Hospital because she was experiencing pain in her legs and back. A week later and after what felt like a million tests, scans and biopsies, we had a diagnosis: she has a soft tissue tumor called Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma. A PET scan revealed a small tumor in her foot that was not apparent from the outside; it was not until the cancer had already spread to her bone marrow that she experienced any symptoms. This came as a total shock to everyone as Lily has always been healthy, active and full of energy. We love our darling girl and her sweet, happy, loving spirit. This website is for friends and family to stay connected during this difficult time.

1 comment:
It does seem like only yesterday, I remember everything about the night she was born. I remember her super soft hair and sweet pink skin and those amazing kissable checks and lips. I actually even remember those pretty little jamas. She was/is as pretty as her mommy! I love you sweetheart, and I'm so proud of you, your an amazing mom.
Post a Comment