Pages

On January 5th, 2011, Lily was admitted to the Phoenix Children's Hospital because she was experiencing pain in her legs and back. A week later and after what felt like a million tests, scans and biopsies, we had a diagnosis: she has a soft tissue tumor called Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma. A PET scan revealed a small tumor in her foot that was not apparent from the outside; it was not until the cancer had already spread to her bone marrow that she experienced any symptoms. This came as a total shock to everyone as Lily has always been healthy, active and full of energy. We love our darling girl and her sweet, happy, loving spirit. This website is for friends and family to stay connected during this difficult time.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Amazingly Wonderful News!

Today we got the results of Lily's MRI and PET scan and they were fantastic! The doctor said her PET scan was perfect and is simply amazed at how well she is doing. He wants to do one more test- a bone marrow biopsy- but said the chances of that showing something the scans do not is very slim. Lily also had an Echo and EKG done on her heart to make sure it has not been damaged by some of the chemotherapy drugs, but everything looks great.
This picture of Lily's PET scan is just a photocopy, but you can see when you compare the first image from January to the image from this week what a difference there is between the two. Lily's first scan revealed cancer in her foot, knee, pelvis, spine, shoulders and arms. The second image is completely normal.

Words really can't describe how I felt after meeting with the doctor today. Joy. Gratitude. And a surreal feeling that I can't explain. The doctor actually said the words total and remission.

Lily will continue her scheduled chemotherapy treatment for the next three months, but it will not be as intense as it has been in the past. Monday she will have a transfusion with overnight hydration, but then she will get two weeks off from chemotherapy. This cycle will continue for the next 9 weeks, followed by even "easier" chemotherapy drugs. Once Lily has completed her treatment, she will have another evaluation. If everything still looks good, she will only need to be seen periodically to be evaluated. 

The doctor reminded us today of how far Lily has come when he mentioned the night, nearly 9 months ago, when Phillip and I sobbed in his office as our world came crashing down on us. I never could understand how anyone would want such a terribly heartbreaking career, but what a difference today's visit was. Now it makes a little more sense. 

When I thanked the doctor, however, he said, "Don't thank me. It's all her," and pointed at Lily. In a way, he is right. Lily's strength of body and mind is something simply amazing. But I also know where we would be without the doctors, nurses, medical science, holistic medicine, family, friends, love, prayers and human kindness (in no certain order) working for us. And for this, I am thankful!


3 comments:

Megan said...

This made me bawl my eyes out. I love you guys, and Lily's fight has been so amazing and inspiring to see. She is such a amazing little girl, and you guys are such good parents!

Dreamweaver Braids said...

My mama heart cries for joy for you! I am so very happy to hear this wonderful news. We love you and Lily and we are so proud of her. Hugs to you all :)

Allison said...

My heart is so full of joy for Lily and all of your family. How light you all must be feeling today! Lily is amazing, and I thank you for sharing this difficult journey with all of us so that we could hope, pray, and act with/for you.