Pages

On January 5th, 2011, Lily was admitted to the Phoenix Children's Hospital because she was experiencing pain in her legs and back. A week later and after what felt like a million tests, scans and biopsies, we had a diagnosis: she has a soft tissue tumor called Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma. A PET scan revealed a small tumor in her foot that was not apparent from the outside; it was not until the cancer had already spread to her bone marrow that she experienced any symptoms. This came as a total shock to everyone as Lily has always been healthy, active and full of energy. We love our darling girl and her sweet, happy, loving spirit. This website is for friends and family to stay connected during this difficult time.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping ~ Chinese Proverb

Lily hiking in Woods Canyon last summer

It has been 6 months since Lily was diagnosed and we have made it halfway through the treatment plan that her oncologists have recommended so far.

She has been through more in that short time than anyone should have to go through, but the biggest lesson we have learned is to appreciate the blessings of each day as they come. There is always joy and beauty to be found in the world no matter what your circumstances and we have many, many blessings to be thankful for. The hard days only help us to appreciate the good all the more, and lend a different perspective to what is truly important in life and just how precious it is.

Lily has a long journey ahead of her still, but I know she will be strong enough to face the challenges she is presented with. Lily’s perseverance and positive attitude is such an inspiration to me. She has taught me that you cannot hide from life; it’s there- the good and the bad- and it’s best to face it head on without fear. That doesn’t mean that I don’t worry (because I do) but I feel more and more like I am able to let go and accept life for what it is- terribly imperfect, yes, but also wonderfully beautiful if you are willing to look.

4 comments:

lacey said...

this is magical. i love you guys and cant wait to celebrate this huge milestone this weekend! im bringing champagne!!!

Grandma, Denice said...

Beautiful Alicia, I've always told you that you should write, your words are inspiring!

JANE said...

I agree with your Mama, Alicia. You always inspire me as your Lily inspire you.
Thank you for sharing your hearts journey with us. The steep and the smooth terraine is the map of life. Keep on trekkin' Love Is All!!!!!!!

Carol B said...

Yes Alicia,I agree with your MOM your writing paints a picture that touches my heart.You have many strenghts and it's been a pleasure witnessing the beautiful woman you've become. Your beauty is reflected in sweet Lily.Generations of beautiful women!!!
XO